Friday 20 July 2012

Mad Hatters Topsy Turvy Cake

updates at Gobsmackedcakes.com


A good friend was having a 'mad hatters' themed birthday party. Flicking through some wedding cake books, I saw some wonderful topsy turvy cakes and thought... 'how hard can it be!' I asked my friend if I could make her cake and she was more than happy to let me make anything I liked. Knowing nothing about cakes or decorating (other than what I saw flipping through a couple wedding mags), I purchased some ingredients and the afternoon before the party I set about baking. Needless to say it was a long night!

(my first cake!)
This was a fine example of me getting carried away and 'jumping in the deep end'. With only an idea of what I wanted to make and next to no knowledge I went straight to the shops and got stuck in! I had no idea about fondant, so I used marzipan. I tried icing the cake while it was hot, as there was no time to let it cool. I cut everything out with a kitchen knife (the only 'decorating tool' I knew of), and I managed to find a small handful of floral wire from a florist.

Anyway, now I know a 'few' things about cakes and decorating, I am gobsmacked that it turned out as good as it did, and survived the car ride to her party.

I was exhausted, but it was a lot of fun to make! I also really enjoyed seeing the reaction of all our friends when they saw it.


















No comments:

Post a Comment